Sunday, January 01, 2006

On What Computer Science Is

I found interesting Joel's post on what Computer Science is, and what it is not, and perhaps on why my career is so different from what I studied in college.
A particular zinger that hit close to home:
But JavaSchools also fail to train the brains of kids to be adept, agile, and flexible enough to do good software design (and I don't mean OO "design", where you spend countless hours rewriting your code to rejiggle your object hierarchy, or you fret about faux "problems" like has-a vs. is-a).

And, on why becoming a Java programmer is an insufficient aspiration:
"I have never met anyone who can do Scheme, Haskell, and C pointers who can't pick up Java in two days, and create better Java code than people with five years of experience in Java, but try explaining that to the average HR drone."

Becoming an effective Java programmer is the employable side effect, not the goal, of a computer science education.
Makes me kind of want to work some CS 223 and CS 323 problems just to keep my brain from atrophying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home